General themes: Prejudice, Family
• What are some examples of prejudice in the story? Why do you think the author chooses to include them?
• The adults in the story claim that they have the orphans’ best interests in mind. When is this true? When is it not true?
• How is Rodzina’s ethnicity important to her? How does she let other people know this?
• What emotions does Rodzina keep to herself? Why?
• Rodzina doesn’t always follow the rules. Do you think she is justified in doing this? In what instances does this behavior help her to survive?
• Why do you think people say Lacey is “slow”? Do you agree? What examples support your opinion?
• Despite their differences, how are Rodzina and Miss Doctor alike? Do you think they will be able to get along in the future?